Our Life Scripture

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

Friday, September 26, 2008

Traditional Vs. Contemporary

Let me begin by saying that after all falls apart He repairs, so that we may live for the glory of it all. Our church is sick and broken, we are in desperate times, confusion and uncertain circumstances surround us. We have an incredible opportunity to become a church. A church that fellowships, ministers, breaks bread together and embraces its people for the sole purpose of creating Glory. A church like the one described in God’s word. Free from the influence of man. Forget the order of worship. Forget the organ, the drums, the guitar. Forget the By-laws, forget Robert’s rules and fix your eyes on Jesus. Then we can go to a world that is dying, His perfect salvation to tell.
So, come on, sing out, let our anthem grow loud. Let us proclaim the name that calms our fears, that bids our sorrows cease. There is one great love, Jesus. Holy Spirit come. We have need of your healing grace. Humbly to you we bow, come holy spirit now. Ever faithful ever true. You, I know, never let go. Are you truly willing to be taken hold of by this faith, this perfect love? Oh what love, in joy and pain, in sun and rain. You are the same, You never let go.
Where do we go from here? Well, we pour contempt on all our pride, humble ourselves and cry out for healing. Where there is pain let there be grace. Where there is suffering bring serenity. For those afraid help them be brave. Where there is misery bring expectancy. Surely we can change something. The problem, it seems, is with you and me, not The Love who came to repair everything. You see WE are the ones responsible for this situation we are in. Is it our lack of Faith? Our disobedience? Our lukewarm response? Statements like “We know the Lord can provide all our needs but…” should not be uttered. May Thy rich grace impart strength to my fainting heart, my faith looks up to thee.
So here we are, the broken and bruised. Let us lift up our voices and open our hands to cling to a love we cannot comprehend. He is the one who has saved us. He is the one who embraced us. He is the one who has come and is coming again. He is the Remedy! Our fears, our hopes, our aims are one. We share our mutual woes, our mutual burdens we bear. Blest be the tie that binds us. There are so few words that never grow old, JESUS!
Hopefully this captures the spirit behind the songs and not the style. Robert

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

That was beautifully put. I agree full-heartedly. I believe style of worship, contemporary versus traditional gets too caught up in the me me me aspect, what suits me the best. Some say traditional is the way because it's always been done or some will say contemporary is what suits "me" best now. I think both sides are off. I think Christ calls us to be is authentic. The meditation of our heart needs to be pleasing to his sight only, not ours. He needs to be our rock and our starting point of all these "styles" of worship. Changing with the times can be scary because we know where the times is heading! I think "we" as christians WAY over complicate the gospel. When really we need to be just simple people telling the simple truth. It's all about him, not about us. I tell you what...... Scott and I are in a very traditional church environment here in Vero but it's beautiful. Not because it's the only way to sing praises to Our Lord but because everyone sings with a true joy in their heart. The children's ministry consist of Anna and a couple other children. We are the young adult crowd, but it's BEAUTIFUL! Young/older mix together beautifully. We all learn from each other! It's almost like there is not an age limit, I can't get over it. The passion and the word of God are so highly regarded, how can this church not be captivating? There is no flash other than the word of God. It makes you want to sing praises in what ever style is pleasing to him. It's amazing to see people taking notice little by little. It's been a blessing to have so many different directors/members of organizations represented in our church from Habitat, Women's Refuge, CareNet, YFC, to the Source in our small church. I think church should have one culture that is "culturally appropriate" and that is "HIS people". I really enjoyed reading your blog. Good God-breathed words. We are praying for mine, yours, our "one" BIG church family! Let me just encourage you and say when we are broken is when we become alive. I believe and pray that for FBC Sebring!

Allison Twigg said...

I agree with Jennifer, too. Isn't it amazing how God shows up in the oddest places...places where there is no "flash"....I believe God is present where there is room for Him. "I stand at the door and knock." Are we so loud in our "busy-ness", our discord, our socializing, our agendas, our opinions, our schedules....that we don't hear Jesus asking to come in and be a part of our gathering? He wants to come where HE is the center and not ME. Some of the most treasured and cherished memories I have are of learning and being taught and loved by the mature and older Christians in the congregation. I am teary-eyed now as I can hear Grant Spencer (who is with Jesus now) singing "I Walked Today Where Jesus Walked"...he meant every word from his heart and loved his Lord. "Beautiful" is a great way to describe the worship of God's people who love one another. We are praying also that God will be the tie that binds everyone together, not desires and wants. If people are unified by selfish desire, (and contemporary/traditional is only one example), then the unity will only last as long as the "wants" are the same. I pray that the desire will be for HIM...and HIM only. Thank you for sharing your heart. I love you! I am praying for you as you continue to be an example of Christ to all around you.