Our Life Scripture

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Take Christmas Back!




O.K., here's my ideas so far! Example: Instead of buying Christmas cards to send out this year, I sort-of made them! Cadie, Marshall and I went to Michael's this morning to buy a kit and then we picked up a picture of the kids copied at Walgreen's. Normally, I spend about $40 on Christmas cards....this year I spent $17!!! Now, my big plan was to spend some quality time with the kids and make the cards.....didn't happen!! But while I made them, the kids "wrote" and then performed a play in our garage..so funny!! I'll put the pics up in a minute, but let's talk about "Take Christmas Back"!! I want my family to take the emphasis off "getting" and back to "giving" and giving sacrificially....our time/talent?/love! Teach my children THE reason for this season...and acting on it! I'm researching ideas to do that very thing...anybody got other ideas...or want to join me???? Another example:I will NOT write or let anyone else write "Xmas" for Christmas!! Isn't that AWFUL to see an "X" instead of Christ!!! So Merry Xmas CHRISTmas!! O.K.... pictures from the play "Little Drummer Boy" ....



3 comments:

Jennifer said...

HA, Ok so Mason TOTALLY looks like Chris Grubb, HA! I can see the family resemblance! I agree with you on this, it's crazy to see how commercialized Christmas has become. I am with you on the giving more than the receiving! If you come up with any good ones, let me know ;) So far the only thing Anna has asked for is a baby diaper for her baby doll, lol. We are trying to start young and keep it minimal and focus more on giving like you say. I have thought about going around to my neighbor's that may be elderly and put up Christmas lights for them or do anything they need help with just to help....I don't know, I need ideas too!!!

Pat and Nancy said...

James and Nancy again...not Pat and Nancy...maybe one day I'll get that fixed.....
You know me an my memeory.... well, I thought I'd remind you of a Christmas when you were about 8 or 9. At the law firm I worked for, we were going to help children that had a parent(s) in prison. I picked out a little girl that was your age. The little girl wanted a watch and a doll but her letter said she didn't expect Santa to bring anything. I explained to you that sometimes God allows US to be Santa and it was an amazing honor to do so! We went to the store and you had so much fum picking out a watch and a doll and doll clothes and several more things that you were wanting for Christmas yourself. You said that you didn't care if Santa came to see you or not.....as long as you could play Santa for this little girl!(So see, it's been your heart for a very long time to keep Christ in Christmas!!) Someone from the firm got pictures of the children receiving their toys and we got to see the joy on the face of 'our little girl'. But it didn't really matter....we were so full of the true Christmas spirit that we knew she would never forget that Christmas....nor would we!!!
I love you and all of the memories I have of Christmas' with you!!! Mom

Ibrahim family said...

Oh my goodness, absolutely adorable!!
Cadie found a book the other day that said XMAS (I bought several Christmas books at a garage sale) and quickly asked me if I really wanted it on the shelf. Your messages are definitely getting through. What a GREAT young lady you have..I love her!